Thursday, August 5, 2010

Brain not ready for real world

Back from vacation number.... uh... well, whatever, it was fantastic.  (More on that later.)  I'm stubbornly resisting the return to reality, as evidenced by my first fully-formed thought this morning as I woke up: 

"Goddamn it."

But it was back to the science grindstone today - a perfectly reasonable and productive day at the museum.  I did some scheduling, returned a bunch of emails, blah blah blah, and attended a meeting.  In said meeting, discussion came around to a committee designed to make OMSI "A Great Place to Work," through perks and benefits and other things.  My coworker asked us to come to her with any ideas that we thought would improve OMSI, and to 'think outside the box.'  And then, on the very heels of her sentence, before I could give it more than half a moment, my mouth opened and out came an entirely un-edited thought:

"Hammocks!"

And I clapped my hand over my mouth, I was so startled that that's what came out of it.  Not an altogether bad idea, but really one I wish I hadn't just blurted so abruptly.  At least give yourself time to think about things, girl, I mean geez!

Anyway, that's the first day of the rest of my life.  My Grandpa Otto used to have this magnet that said, "Engage brain before opening mouth."  (At least, I seem to remember he did.  If I'm making it up, it's something he would have owned, so I'm counting it.)  Anyway, I haven't quite been able to do that today, so all tales of rainy, muggy, hot, scorching Arizona will have to wait for next time, when my words flow easier, instead of jumping out like kids playing hide-and-go-make-Kirsten-look-like-a-fool.  So, until next time.


You really check this every day?  Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment