Thursday, April 28, 2011

Goal #3: With a litte help from my friends

`
It's a place!  It's a place I'm going to!

Oh lord, guys, it's really happening.  I'm going to Greece!

My dear and talented friend Sarah is creating genius with her bare hands at a writer's colony on a Greek island (I know, doesn't it just smack of romance?) and I will go and meet her when her time there is up.  WHAT!  I'm sorry, I have to shake my head a little after every sentence and realization that yes, this is indeed going to happen.

A vacation to Greece has been such a pipe dream of mine for so long - something I've done little more than ponder and picture when I can't fall asleep at night.   But months ago Sarah announced she'd be going, and I declared I'd be coming too.  Even then, it was unlikely - the same level of conviction with which my childhood friends and I declared when we grew up we'd all buy houses on the same street so our kids could play together.  Yes, let's.  What a beautiful dream.

But Sarah was really doing it - and me?  What did I have to lose?  Egg money burning a hole in my savings account, it was possible.  And more probable now than it had ever been.  And so, with much delay and anxiety (No, I have to concentrate on moving first.  Oh, but I have to do my taxes before. I just won't feel right until my art supplies are organized and...  Okay, okay, I'll do it now!) I bought a plane ticket.  I nearly bit my credit card in half while pushing the PURCHASE NOW button, but dammit, there's no going back.  Forward only!

So I've built my castles in the sky.  Now I need to make foundations under them.  Foundations made of sturdy backpacks, up-to-date immunizations, travel books and language CDs.  And a million other things I haven't even thought of yet.  I'm green.  I'm new.  I've never been off the continent.  So...

Help me?  Please?  I don't really know what I'm doing.

 You might.  All you people out there, with your international backpacking language-speaking jet-setting experience.  Any tips for a fresh-out-of-the-gate world traveler?  I've got the loan of a backpack already I think will work nicely (thank you Sue and Natalie), but I have so far to go.  Any of you know anything about Greece?  Or possibly Italy or Istanbul? (Secondary destinations.  The conversation went like this: "Any chance we'll be political prisoners?" "No, I don't think so."  "Oh hold on, we can see whirling dervishes!  And Turkish baths!  Okay, let's go.")  What should I pack?  What shouldn't I pack?  Do I need to buy more comfortable walking shoes?  Do I need to learn how to say more than Thank you, What am I eating, and American Embassy in three separate languages?  What's a hostel like?  Teach me, world!
 
 Passport, tickets, money.  Passport, tickets money.  Those travel sickness pills mustn't be working.  I still feel sick and I've taken four already.  And I've only traveled up and down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment