Forgive me if I'm out of practice. Accounting my adventures fell by the wayside last summer, preoccupied as I was by having those adventures - playing around as I do in sunshine and water and trees whenever and wherever I can. I revisited a lot of places like they were old friends and didn't feel as pressed to document the feelings I had and stories I told myself there.
Then: fall, winter, spring. Life, job, family, love. Uncertainty, laughs, washing up, errands, research, learning, drinking, eating. Portland - very much so.
You know how I like a saga - a story, a quest, a tale of the hero's there-and-back-again. Something with movement. So writing my workaday life didn't seem momentous enough to document. However, I refuse to chalk all that time up as forgettable - quite the opposite. I am lucky beyond measure to have the life that I do, and I am blessed to find small moments of sweetness in baby smiles and the sound of flags snapping in a strong wind.
Anyway, after a long hibernation, I'm moving again. Literally. Everyone, I've gotten a job at the Grand Canyon, and I'm moving there as we speak. Ta-da! I'll be doing environmental education with the National Park Service. And I'll get to feel the sun on my face and the altitude in my lungs. I get to come home to someone else's delicious cooking and listen to someone else's stories for a while. Again, I am so blessed. I'm going to miss Portland, which is my hometown now more than ever. But I'm so excited to start a new chapter. In such a beautiful place, with such immense space to fill.
![]() |
| Let's go! |


No comments:
Post a Comment