Hello, all.
I thought I'd start with a post before my journey really gets started. I know that it's hard to blog and travel at the same time, and do either any real justice. But I hope to at least provide periodic highlights from the road.
For now, I'm still packing and prepping, endlessly; listening to HP on CD. My insights are all of a very practical nature, as I am wrapped up in very practical things, like eating my way through all the ice cream in the freezer lest it go to waste. There's always a funny finality to moving, and this time especially so since I haven't had a "new home" nearby to which to gradually transport things. I've got to say, that's my favorite part - walking into a totally empty house and feeling its immensity, its possibilities. Guessing what corner will fit which book case, deciding that the far wall is the best place for the really tacky picture frame. I've been missing that this time, and having to store up all the unpacking relief in my head until later.
Parts of this really remind me of going to college, though I honestly don't remember the packing-up parts. I do remember arriving at the Merrill C loading dock at 7am on a sultry September move-in day, and having to haul my numerous boxes up four flights of stairs, piling them all in the hallway because it was too early still to get the key to my room. I'm going to try to pack lighter this time, but that's always a struggle for me. I come from a long line of Overprepared, and for me it's hardly ever a question of what I need - rather, what I think I'll miss. Whatever that is, I don't think it'll fit into my storage container even if it is quite a spacious steel box. I've promised myself only to take what will fit in there, plus Mishu. The rest I leave to posterity and to the Great Free Box in the sky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good luck in your travels! I'm feeling the same way right now -- I leave for France in 3 days, and I'm not even packed yet! I know I'll forget something. I'll make sure to check this every once in a while during my stay in France =D
ReplyDeletebisous !
i'm glad to hear from you:). looking forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing pictures! good luck with the move and please let's stay in touch:).
ReplyDelete