Monday, September 7, 2009

Jumping on the Labor Day bandwagon

(isn't that kind of what it's about, anyway?)

I am about to start a new "job," believe it or not, and I've been overlooking that aspect in the face of the larger adventure of moving to a new place. I don't think it'll go so poorly (high praise) *knock on wood*, and I already have some ideas for the interpretive programs I'm supposed to create. Quandary: does an interpretive program on ethnobotany of the region fall under Cultural History or Natural History?

I've recently been talking to a friend (who is embarking on his own adventure soon) about pursuing things for yourself or for the Greater Good. I think often they're one and the same. Living a right life (however you define that) is important - it makes you a better person, better able to interact with others honestly and productively. Of course, I've been running on 70% pure selfishness juice for a while now, so that's the area I emphasize in this argument. In my own life, doing things for myself and nobody else (or when my desires are at odds with someone else's) has historically gotten swept under the rug. Philosophically, I believe balance is important, though. I don't think either of those aims (betterment of Self or G.G.) should fall victim to the other on a regular basis. Apples and pears, dog and bone - the Middle Way, that's what I say. As an educator who loves educating, I don't really have to separate these things - as long as I stay good at what I do, I'm sparking something in me AND in others. Sweet gig.

I am looking forward to this internship (work schedule, "days off" and all), and I realize how damn lucky I am to be able to pursue it with the reckless abandon I have. I've got so many people supporting me in so many ways. Even if I do fail spectacularly (look for that post later on), I feel relatively safe. If I am escaping from prison on my bedsheet rope, there's a fair number of compatriots underneath me holding a firefighter's net. Thanks, fellow conspirators.

Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment