Five West
A show about intrigue, drama, chance meetings...
IVs, dosing schedules, uncomfortable chairs that fold into beds...
And really, really bland food.
I mean, doesn't it sound like some Melrose Place spin-off? It's actually the name of the oncology wing at St. V's where Dad is. Again. We're back here for this round of in-patient chemo. This mix of chemicals has a round-the-clock dosing schedule, and the toxicity is high enough that Dad needs to be monitored pretty closely to make sure they don't overwhelm his system.
That's the paradox of chemo in general: these chemicals that you're pumping into someone's veins are so poisonous that the nurses have to wear paper gowns over their scrubs, extra-thick gloves, goggles (supposedly), and all the empty IV bags, tubes, needles, etc. has to go into special protective bags when they're finished with them. How is this stuff okay to go into someone's body when it's so dangerous to get on the body? It really is a confusing theory of treatment: harm to heal. I get that much better in a figurative way than a literal one. One PostSecret card that really struck me, of late, is this one:
Desert imagery. Obvs.
But when those good things are useful little bits like hair cells and white blood cells, well... that's a bit harsher reality.
Dad, independently, has been saying pretty much the same thing that has been my mantra in the past months. "I'm doing this. I have no choice. I have to push on." Now I know where I get this hardscrabble determination from. My phrase is "needs be done," but the sentiment is certainly the same. God love him, he's working so hard.





But do you know why Portland is screwed, tectonically speaking? Idle seduction. Or, rather, subduction. Juan de Fuca, what a cad!
ReplyDeleteThe Subduction of the Innocent! An American Psychiatrist's crusade to prove that comic books are driving our children underground.
ReplyDeleteAll too often, subduction leads to intense buildup in one's orogenic zones.
ReplyDelete